Monday, September 27, 2010

The Bedtime Blues.


It seems many of the babies and young children in my life are having trouble sleeping.  I decided to research some tips to help during nap time.  My first step was a call to my mother because I am more than aware that I was a "difficult child" and therefore was certain my sleep habits fit into this "difficult child" persona.  Her advice was simply to swaddle the baby in a soft blanket and try different rocking techniques.  She also found some relief in a few aromatherapy solutions (chamomile, rose and lavender essential oils to name a few).  Even as a seasoned child-care provider, I still have yet to perfect "the swaddle".  Companies like Satsuma Designs and Swaddle Designs have created the perfect size swaddling blanket taking away the complications involved with wrapping up your little one.  If you're in the market for a new swaddling blanket check out Satsuma Designs' brand new flannel swaddling blanket, perfect to keep your baby stylish, comfy and cozy this winter!

My second step was a trip to the library and found a fantastic book:  Rock-a-Bye Baby: 200 Ways to Help Baby (and You!) Sleep Better.  This book is jam packed with great ideas.  This book has everything from schedules and swaddling techniques to uses of aromatherapy and body positioning.  There is surely something in there for every mother and child.

Third (and final… for now) came my quest through the depths of the World Wide Web.  I came across the Nap Nanny.  The site claims “The Nap Nanny mimics the contours of a car seat, the comfort of a baby blanket and features maximum stability”.  With a safety strap and waterproof lining this seems like the perfect way to get those fussy babies to sleep.  Like any other product it is important to read and follow the safety recommendations (don’t put carrier on counter, table, or inside the crib).

 

 

Photo courtesy of Satsuma Designs LLC

No comments: