Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Build! Build! Build!


Before I get to blogging I figure I should introduce myself to the Baby Grows Green followers. My name is Kira but I like to refer to myself as "Kira the Intern". I am the latest addition to the Satsuma Designs team and I am really excited to be a part of this wonderful company! I will also be a contributing writer to the blog, I hope everyone is as excited about this as I am :)

I live in Seattle and I am ALWAYS looking for things to do when the weather is less than desirable. Some of my favorite rainy day activities include taking a trip to the local art museum (The Seattle Art Museum offers free admission to all on the first Thursday of each month), a local historical site (The Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park is a fun learning experience for kids), or a trip to the public library (The Seattle Public Library offers storytime at most of their locations). One of my all time favorites has to be creating a funky art project. I was putzing around on the internet looking at fun crafts when I came across the Disney website. Disney provides us with a great "green" way to put our recyclables to good use, keep the kids occupied and provide them with inexpensive new toys!

This calls for:
-Boxes (Cereal, pasta, oatmeal containers etc.)
-Paper (Newspaper, wrapping paper left over from the holidays and construction paper work perfectly)
-Tape or glue (Masking tape works best but scotch tape will suffice)
-Drawing equipment (Crayons, markers, paint, it all works!)
-Toothpicks, popsicle sticks, dowels, film canisters, or other inexpensive household items

Cover the boxes in paper and decorate to your heart's desire. You can make "stone" pathways out of bits of paper or a chimney from an old paper towel roll. An old film canister could be made into a mini trash can (or recycling bin).

I love this craft idea and have every intention of using it next time I babysit or next time it rains. I'll just have to wait and see what comes first!



Photo courtesy of Disney Family Fun

1 comment:

Baby Grows Green by Satsuma Designs said...

Wow! This looks so fun! Thanks for sharing a great idea for the kiddos.