Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Help Haiti

I’ve been reading and watching the news and all my mind can focus on is the complete devastation in Haiti. As someone who lives a comfortable life with plenty of food, a warm place to sleep and the access to an education it has always been important to me to involve myself in the community. After Hurricane Katrina I spent a week in Mississippi helping rebuild and I have been involved with trips around the local community building, painting and supplying food for those in need. I’ve been racking my mind with ways in which I can help the people of Haiti. Since I cannot leave the country right now (I have school, I've done nothing criminal!) I concluded that I would donate blood. The American Red Cross website is full of information as to where local donation centers are located, as well as other information as to how to help in the Haitian relief efforts. United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR), Catholic Relief Services, Partners in Health, and UNICEF (United Nations Children's Fund) other great sites to learn more about getting involved in helping the people of Haiti.



Photo courtesy of CNN

No comments: