Tuesday, February 9, 2010

This chore is not a bore!

Well, for some, this might be a bore but my favorite thing to do is laundry. I love shopping for laundry detergent, and figuring out ways to organize dirty laundry. I enjoy spending time folding clothes and organizing them. Don't get me wrong, I love all types of cleaning products but laundry detergent is my absolute favorite. To me there is nothing better than taking a load of wash out of the dryer and seeing all the sparkling clean towels, shirts, and socks. It may seem a bit exaggerated but I speak the truth. I've been noticing the eco-downfalls in my lifestyle and my choice of detergents has been no exception. Until recently I followed the tide (pun intended) but no more! I have discovered some wonderful detergents that are phosphate-free, dye-free, higher concentration, with a biodegradable or plant based container.

My two favorites:

Method Laundry products:
Their products are ultra concentrated and contain a plant-based formula. To top off the quality of the soap, the bottle that holds the detergent is made from 50% recycled plastic. This is by far the most concentrated detergent I have come across and the easy pump feature makes doing laundry less messy-- no more drippy lids with soap residue in the cap!

Seventh Generation:
The Seventh Generation detergents have no dyes or fragrance, no phosphates, are safe for septic and gray-water systems, contain no animal derived ingredients and are hypoallergenic. They have options for 2x concentration as well as a detergent formula specifically for babies!


Both products have pages with coupons on their websites along with laundry and cleaning tips.

Remember when shopping for detergent to consider the type of washing machine you own. If you have a front loader, look for detergent marked with HE (high efficiency). The high efficiency detergents will help keep your washer in working condition (if you use regular detergent on a front loading machine you can cause serious mechanical failures) and keep your clothes cleaner. If you have a top loading machine it works best to let a powder detergent dissolve in a few inches of water before washing your clothes.

If for some reason you are looking for something eco-friendly to wash in an environmentally friendly fashion check out Satsuma Designs' line of blankets and bedding. I can't imagine anything better than a fresh, clean bamboo velour crib sheet fresh from the laundry :)

I enjoyed writing about detergent so much.... I think I'll go do some laundry!


Photo courtesy of Seventh Generation

No comments: